Anhydrous Citric Acid
Anhydrous Citric Acid
Citric acid is used for many applications. For example; it is used in insecticides and disinfectants. This helps destroy traces of bacteria and virus. It is also used to preserve and marinate meats, flavour various foods. This is also is an additive within some beverages. Most commonly, citric acid is used in wine to reduce acidity and improve the overall taste. This product also has a wide variety of uses in other industries too. These include personal care, agricultural, pharmaceutical and also electroplating industries.
Citric acid is used in a multitude of cleaning products. Such as automotive cleaning (e.g. wheel and radiator cleaner.) Metal cleaner, oven cleaner, dishwasher cleaner, general purpose disinfectant and also scum remover. Not to mention, it can be used as a bathroom cleaner. It is suitable for use for the bath tub, tiles and the toilet bowl itself. It is also a common ingredient within dish soap, carpet detergent, laundry detergents and also some air fresheners.
How is Anhydrous Citric Acid produced?
Citric acid is the most important organic acid produced in tonnage. It is extensively used within the food and pharmaceutical industries. This product is is produced mainly by submerged fermentation; using Aspergillus Niger or Candida sp. It is an organic carboxylic acid; and it can be extracted from the juice of citrus fruits. This is done by adding calcium oxide; which forms calcium citrate. This creates an insoluble precipitate that can be collected by filtration; the acid can be recovered form its calcium salt by adding sulphuric acid.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is Anhydrous Citric Acid?
Anhydrous Citric Acid is a natural acid derived from citrus fruits. It is a crystalline powder that is commonly used in food, pharmaceutical, and cosmetic industries as an acidifier, preservative, flavour enhancer, and antioxidant.
2. How is Anhydrous Citric Acid different from Citric Acid?
Anhydrous Citric Acid is the pure form of citric acid, meaning it does not contain any water molecules. Regular Citric Acid, on the other hand, contains water molecules and is in a less concentrated form. Anhydrous Citric Acid is usually more suitable for certain applications where water content needs to be minimized.
3. What are the main uses of Anhydrous Citric Acid?
Anhydrous Citric Acid has various uses in different industries. In the food industry, it is used as a flavor enhancer, pH adjuster, and preservative in beverages, candies, desserts, and sauces. In pharmaceuticals, it is utilized as an acidulant in effervescent tablets and as a stabilizer in certain medications. In cosmetics, it can be found in skincare products as a pH adjuster and antioxidant.
4. Is Anhydrous Citric Acid safe to consume?
Yes, Anhydrous Citric Acid is generally recognized as safe by regulatory bodies when used in appropriate amounts in food and beverages. It is commonly consumed without any adverse effects. However, some individuals may be sensitive or allergic to citric acid and may experience digestive discomfort or allergic reactions. It’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional if you have specific concerns.
5. Can Anhydrous Citric Acid be used for cleaning purposes?
Yes, Anhydrous Citric Acid can be used as a natural cleaning agent due to its acidic properties. It is effective in removing mineral deposits, rust stains, and lime scale from various surfaces. Additionally, it can be used as a dishwasher rinse aid, toilet bowl cleaner, or to descale coffee makers.
6. How should Anhydrous Citric Acid be stored?
Anhydrous Citric Acid should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from moisture and direct sunlight. It should be kept in a tightly sealed container to prevent clumping or absorbing water from the environment. Proper storage will help maintain its quality and extend its shelf life.
7. Can Anhydrous Citric Acid be used as a substitute for lemon juice?
Yes, Anhydrous Citric Acid can be used as a substitute for lemon juice in certain recipes or applications. It provides the acidic, tangy flavour similar to lemon juice without the added liquid content. However, since it is highly concentrated, it should be used sparingly and adjusted to taste.
Top Uses of Anhydrous Citric Acid:
- Food Additive: Citric acid is used as a flavour enhancer and preservative in foods and beverages, especially soft drinks and candies. It’s used to add a sour taste to foods and drinks and to maintain the stability of active ingredients.
- Cleaning Agent: In household cleaners and detergents, citric acid is used to remove hard water stains, lime scale, rust, and other types of grime due to its ability to chelate metals.
- Cosmetics and Personal Care: Citric acid is a common ingredient in personal care products such as bath bombs, shampoo, and skin care items because it adjusts the acidity and promotes skin peeling and re-growth.
- Pharmaceuticals: It’s used in medicines as an acidulant, to stabilize active ingredients, improve taste, and serve as a preservative. It’s also used in effervescent systems, like in antacids and vitamin C supplements.
- Photography: In photography, citric acid can be used as a stop bath during the developing process.
- Water Softener: Citric acid softens water, making it more effective for soaps and detergents, which leads to reduced usage and thus, less environmental impact.
- Metal Plating and Polishing: Citric acid is used in metal plating to clean metal surfaces and as a chelating agent in electroplating.
- Biodegradable Solvent: It can be used as a biodegradable and environmentally friendly solvent in the removal of grease, grime, and ink.
- Canning: Citric acid is used in canning fruits and vegetables to preserve colour and protect against botulism.
- Enzyme Catalyst: It acts as a catalyst in many biochemical processes and is used in the fermentation process during the manufacture of cheese and wine.
Even more of our products can be found here!
Be sure to check out our eBay and Amazon stores, too!
eBay allows you to see a varied range of products we provide.
Amazon is great for you to be able to view feedback.
At Trade-Chemicals, we are proud to offer a range of professional products that can be ordered immediately via phone or online with speedy next day nationwide deliveries. Our team of experts provide advice and expertise based on their thorough experience, training and knowledge.
Our staff are highly qualified in the chemical industry and are always on hand to answer any questions you may have. We are confident that we can offer our customers the best service and products to meet their needs.
If you need any help with your order please don’t hesitate to contact Trade Chemicals LIMITED on 0333 800 2345 and our team will be happy to provide assistance.